My question for the panel is...

In what ways can we make technology accessible for all students, regardless of socioeconomic status?

Technology, in its various forms, can serve to level the educational playing field in many ways. However, using it as a springboard for addressing the achievement gap is problematic when we consider who has access and familiarity with technology.

32 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    anonymousanonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Mary Beth HertzMary Beth Hertz commented  · 

As a teacher in a large inner city school I have seen first hand how detrimental the Digital Divide can be to students' future success. We do not have IWBoards, we just got a computer lab last year, and many of our students either don't have a computer at home or if they do, they do not have internet access. While I should be teaching my 6th graders advanced skills in research, publishing, databases and digital editing (music, video, etc..), I find myself teaching them things like how to open their files, how to name them, how to save them and how to locate information on the internet, nevermind figure out whether it is actually of use to them. My students will not have the skills to get a job that requires them to type 40 words per minute, or that requires knowledge of Word or Excel. Something needs to be done!

Feedback and Knowledge Base